The 32Red Newmarket Open Weekend will take place on Saturday 22nd and Sunday 23rd September, giving visitors the rare chance to see behind the scenes at horseracing’s HQ.
• 20 trainers are set to open their doors to the public from 9am – 12:30pm on Sunday, including Roger Varian, Hugo Palmer, Amy Murphy, David Simcock, George Scott, and James Fanshawe, trainer of mulitple Group 1 winner THE TIN MAN. See full list below.
• Access and tours to Newmarket’s integral equine sites – Two equine hospitals, the British Racing School, Tattersalls Bloodstock Auctioneers, the National Stud, the Jockey Club Rooms, and the National Heritage Centre for Horseracing and Sporting Art
• Two new exciting additions to this weekend will be the opening of Longholes Stud and the introduction of our new ‘History & Heritage Town Walking Tours’. Longholes Stud, rehabilitation and pre- training centre, will be providing tours on Sunday and demonstrating the use of their excellent facilities, including a water treadmill and ECB Hydra Spa.
• Racing at the Rowley Mile racecourse will take place on Saturday afternoon. During racing local trainers and other industry figures will take part in the Open Weekend’s annual commentary challenge. Each competitor will face the microphone to commentate on one race and help raise money for NOW’s chosen charities. List of competitors and their Just Giving pages below.
• An action-packed Sunday starts on Warren Hill Gallops (sponsored by Tattersalls) at 8am where fans can watch superstars be put through their paces by Newmarket’s top trainers, including Sir Michael Stoute, Sir Mark Prescott, and John Gosden.
• Sunday afternoon entertainments will take place in the main arena on the Severals and will feature the Waitrose Stable Staff Games, Stable Staff vs Martin Collins Jockeys & Trainers Football Match, and the Clipper Logistics Racing Personality Show Jumping Competition. There will also be a fun dog show for local resident’s canine pals.
• Trainer Ed Dunlop will captain the Martin Collins sponsored Jockeys & Trainers football team, playing alongside fellow trainer Charlie Fellowes in goal, and jockey Liam Jones, to name a few.
• Celebrity competitors in the Clipper Logistics Show Jumping include top jockeys Frankie Dettori, Andrea Atzeni, Josephine Gordon, and William Buick, who competes at NOW for the first time. Other notable competitors include last year’s winner and ITV Racing presenter Francesca Cumani, plus trainers George Scott, Roger Varian, and Amy Murphy.
• This year NOW will raise money for the following beneficiaries; Racing Welfare’s Newmarket Housing Project (50%), the National Heritage Centre for Horseracing and Sporting Art (25%), the Newmarket Day Centre (10%), the Mayor’s Charitable Appeal (10%), and for a grant that people working in racing can apply for through Racing Welfare (5%).
• Tickets prices start at £17 per person when purchased on the day. During the weekend tickets are available to purchase from any of our equine sites, car parks, and yards. Children 12 years of age and under go FREE all weekend.
• Please visit www.newmarketopenweekend.co.uk for our full ticket pricings, a schedule of events, and more information.
Charlie Fellowes, Chairman of the 32Red Newmarket Open Weekend, said;
“The Open Weekend is a fantastic way to showcase the town and horseracing to the public, whilst also raising much needed funds some very worthy causes. My yard will be one of many trainers’ yards open on Sunday morning, and there is a host of other exciting attractions and entertainments happening over the weekend. We are very much looking forward to welcoming you all to Newmarket for what is set to be an action-packed weekend.”