A mixed sale that starts off ARQANA’s season, the February Sale continues to prove itself as a source of Group winners and the future dams of Group winners.
The 2017 edition was certainly no different as ROI MAGE, bought for €210,000 as part of a dispersal from the Ecurie Sagara, went on to win the Prix Georges Courtois at Auteuil, a small while after CHAMP DE BATAILLE had won the Gran Corsa Siepi di Milano. LE TOINY, bought as a yearling by Jehan Bertran de Balanda at the same sale, also went on to win the Prix Montgomery.
Of the many successes from the breeding stock section, CUP CAKE was bought at the February Sale before producing 2017 winner SUEDOIS, while DANSEUSE CORSE had been sold for €14,000 to HFTB Agency. She became the dam of DIFFERENT LEAGUE, while THEORIE went under the hammer before her son BLACKTYPE became a triple Graded winner in the USA. Knocked down to PB Bloodstock at the auction, EATON LASS went on to produce 2017 chase winner at Punchestown, GREAT FIELD.
This year, the sale will take place over two days, February 13 and 14, starting both days at 11am. A total of 416 horses are set to pass through the ring, which is broken down into 186 mares, 67 fillies ready to be covered, 47 horses-in-training, 39 two-year-olds, 74 yearlings, one potential stallion and one lot of two stallion shares.
The fillies, mares and youngstock are spread over the two days, while the horses-in-training section will open the sale on Wednesday, February 14.
Stallion shares and stallion prospect
Offered as a potential stallion by Nicolas Clement, STRAIGHT SHOOTER (lot 2) starts the ball rolling. This half-brother to NAAQOOS by Frankel created an eye-catching impression on his debut when winning by seven lengths at Saint-Cloud in the silks of Mayfair Speculators, however he was subsequently injured in training and was never seen again on the racetrack.
The auction will also give buyers the opportunity to purchase by sealed bid two shares in the Haras des Faunes resident PANIS, the sire of Group winners SANDS OF MALI, MYASUN, OUT OF TIME and BLUE PANIS.
Fillies ready to be covered
A total of 67 maiden mares will go through the ring, including several that are Listed winners or have been placed at this level, highlighted by Prix Jacques de Bremond winner LBRETHA (lot 287). With a rating of 100, this daughter of Exceed and Exceed from the family of the champion ALLEZ FRANCE is consigned by Haras de Castillon. Other black-type performers DOTHRAKI SEA (lot 65), SPORTY DOLL (lot 197) and BELLE RIVE (lot 203) are offered from La Motteraye Consignment.
In addition, several well-bred fillies are also in the catalogue, such as ORLAINE (lot 15), a half-sister of Saint-Patrick Listed winner RIP from Haras du Cadran; GRAETCHEN (lot 395), the first foal out of Group winner GLOOMY SUNDAY by Darbirsim consigned by Haras de Grandcamp; TIRESIAS (lot 255), a daughter of Henrythenavigator out of a half-sister to Epsom Derby winner WINGS OF EAGLES from ACF Elevage; VANOISE (lot 266), a daughter out of a half-sister to Group 1 winners VAZIRA and VADAWINA from Haras du Lieu des Champs; and, offered by Ecurie des Monceaux, SEA OF KNOWLEDGE (lot 268), a granddaughter of VADAWINA by Sea The Stars and EMOTION (lot 336), a granddaughter of SPECTACULAR JOKE by Exceed And Excel.
Of the 186 mares expected to go under the hammer, several are in-foal to top stallions including DABIRSIM, DOCTOR DINO, INTELLO, KENDARGENT, LE HAVRE and WOOTTON BASSETT, as well as the promising young sires ANODIN, CHARM SPIRIT, OLYMPIC GLORY, RULER OF THE WORLD, SOMMERABEND, TORONADO and WALDPARK with first two-year-olds on the track this year. Other mares in foal to young interesting stallions as DARIYAN, GALIWAY, HARZAND, HUNTER’S LIGHT, KINGSTON HILL, SHALAA and SIDESTEP.
From the catalogue, mares that have already gained black-type or produced horses at this level include:
- FAST LANE LILI (lot 60) offered in foal to Footstepinthesand by the Elevage des Trois Rivieres. Listed placed, she is from the maternal line of ALLEGRETTA and has already produced Listed winner UNDER THE RADAR.
- MOONLIGHT CASS (lot 75), a daughter of Danehill Dancer out of Listed winner MOON DROP. The dam of the Listed INDY CASS, she is in foal to Intello and is consigned by Coulonces Sales.
- LETIZIA RELCO (lot 177), Listed placed and offered in foal to Dabirsim by Haras du Grand Lys, she is from the family of Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe winner MILL REEF.
- CHRISIIDA (lot 335), offered from Haras de Grandcamp, this Listed placed mare is in foal to Dabirsim.
- I’M SO GLAD (lot 350), Listed placed, she is a half-sister to Group winner SOUVENIR DELONDRES offered in foal to Shalaa by Haras de Mandore.
- DUBAI (lot 356), Listed placed, she is offered by Wertheimer & Frere in foal to Kendargent. This daughter of Galileo hails from a top German family and is already the dam of Listed winner and Group 3 placed ALAKHANA.
- HOLLY POLLY (lot 403), out of Group winner HANAMI from the family of dual Group 2 winner THE JULIET ROSE, she was also Listed placed. She is consigned by Motteraye Consignment in foal to Charm Spirit.
- EIRIA (lot 374), a winning half-sister of Group placed HAPPY APPROACH, offered in foal to Intello by Markus Nigge.
Of the National Hunt mares, Haras de la Douardiere consigns NAIADE DE LA ROQUE (lot 25) in foal to Masked Marvel. A half-sister to Prix Alain du Breuil winner SALDER ROQUE, she has already produced ANTISEPTIQUE, 2nd in the Prix Finot at Auteuil.
A total of 47 horses-in-training both flat and jumps will come under the hammer on February 14, including several that have already proved themselves at Group level in both disciplines:
- MALLORCA (lot 226) finished 3rd in the Grand Prix de la Ville de Nice steeple-chase at Cagnes-sur-Mer, a race that she won last year.
- SONG AND WHISPER (lot 232), was placed in four Listed races last year over hurdles at Auteuil for the colours of Ecurie Kura.
- The four-year-old filly SCAPINA (lot 236), with a rating of 85, she was a dual winner in 2017 and was also Listed placed in Germany.
Also of note is LEARNING TO FLY (lot 245), a son of Oasis Dream trained by Andre Fabre that won on his debut as a two-year-old last October, as well as a couple of unraced fillies from the Aga Khan Studs: ZEREMA (lot 240), by Dawn Approach out of a half-sister to ZARKAVA, and DILIYA (lot 249), a granddaughter of DIAMILINA by Redoute’s Choice.
Yearlings and Two-Year-Olds
Finally, 39 two-year-olds and 74 lots that have just turned yearlings are catalogued.
Of the yearlings:
- Lot 42, a son of Siyouni out of Listed placed LUMIERE ROSE. Offered from Ecurie des Monceaux, he comes from the family of LAVIRCO, LOMITAS and LADY MARIAN.
- Lot 76, a son of Camelot, out of a daughter of the Group 1 winner ASK FOR THE MOON, offered from Coulonces Sales.
- Lot 87, a son of Intello out of Spanish champion three-year-old NARYA, a sister to Group 2 winner EASTERN ARIA from Haras d’Haspel.
- Lot 135, a half-brother to Listed winner RIOTICISM by Tin Horse, consigned by Haras de Lonray.
- Lot 259, a son of Dabirsim out of Listed placed TROMBE that has already produced MALIKAYAH, a winner at the same level from Fairway Consignment.
- Lot 357, another son of Dabirsim out of winning 2yo mare in England, consigned by Haras de Saint Arnoult.
In the two-year-old section, Haras de Meautry offers lot 193, a son of Kendargent out of Group placed TADORNE, a half-brother to Prix Guillaume d’Ornano winner PINSON.
February Mixed Sale – Deauville
February 13-14 at 11am
Catalogue online at www.arqana.com